Saturday, April 12, 2008

Batch #1 - IPA - Primary Fermentation

The first day of fermentation did not go as planned. I put the fermenter in the basement and waited. After 24 hours, there was no activity. I consulted the books and decided that the problem was that the basement was too cold. The temperature needs to be around 70 degrees, the basement was hovering around 65 degrees. I decided it was time to move the fermenter upstairs. When moving the 5 gallon jar, I undoubtedly stirred things up a bit, not sure if this is a problem or not.

Day 1

After moving it upstairs, the fermenter immediately kicked into action. The first day was just a little bubbling and a small ring of foam at the top.



Day 2

Fermentation picked up on the second day. There was now a large head of foam (technically Krausen I believe) and a steady stream of foam moving through the blowoff tube. The bubbling was very rapid (at least one a second) and the beer started smelling very hoppy!! I was a little concerned at this point that the color of the beer was much darker than any IPA I've seen.



Days 3 through 6

The next few days of fermentation saw a slight increase in activity. By the 6th day, fermentation had slowed to a bubble every few seconds and there was nothing coming through the blowoff tube except gas. One unexpected change was that the beer was getting lighter. It was now really starting to resemble a pale ale.

Day 3


Day 4


Day 5



I think primary fermentation should wind down tomorrow and then I will rack the beer to a secondary fermenter to get it off the trub (the sediment on the bottom).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude. Unleash the KRAUSEN!

Anonymous said...

I just noticed that there's a blanket around the beer starting with day four. What's going on here? Did Dingo give it to him?

Tim Aaron said...

The blanket is to keep the beer warm and out of the light. Yes - Dingo brought it to him.